It came to my attention pretty quick that something was amiss with the last Celerra VSA UBER release. I heard strange stories of disks not adding and the OVA not deploying. Since this thing is drawing close on a couple thousand downloads some environmental, transfer, and operational bugs/errors will cause problems.
But I finally nailed this down myself when I was doing my iSCSI testing. I had run into a SRM bug (see post here) this week. And as I was parsing the logs I noticed a couple lines that confirmed it. There was definitely a bug as iSCSI objects were not pulling the new instantiated ID that is created with the wizard.
So after 8 hours or so of diving through and reversing engineering I finally found the culprit. It went all the way back to the original build I get from engineering. I wrote a patch, tested against my running VSA’s, and confirmed I had the fix. But while I was about rebuilding the VSA’s I decided to do a couple more things that didn’t make the last list. Here is the running list of changes:
- Bugfix: Passphrase for peer connections is will now save correctly. This is related to the ID bug. Before if you rebooted the VSA replications (NFS or iSCSI) would no longer work.
- Bugfix: iSCSI replication now creates LUN’s and Replication sessions with proper naming ID’s.
- Bugfix: NTP settings for Data Mover will update time during wizard immediately to correct large skew.
- Bugfix: Either SCSI or IDE disks will add correctly to automatic volumes now. This was a random error for some installs.
- VSA is now a fresh built VM (Hardware version 7). This cleans up the VMX considerably.
- OVA is now built from OVFTOOL 2.01. I tested deployments through Standalone Converter and VI Client deploy.
- Downloads now also have MD5 hashes available to verify no errors/changes in transit. I highly recommend checking the MD5 as several people have gotten bit errors from our FTP.
- Confirmed both the current Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) plug-in and Celerra NFS plug-in works great with VSA. Videos soon with config.
Here are the new downloads for 3.1. I recommend replacing all previous versions of 3.0:
Now get to downloading… (***UPDATE links below are the updated 3.2 version fixing 3.1 bugs. ****) – LINK
Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it. ~Salvador Dali